August 10, 2015

It's Here Before I Knew It

Well, Friday is the day! The day that my friends and I have been working towards for the past 18 years, the day that will “be here before you know it” according to the adults in my life, the day will truly turn the page to a new chapter in this book we call “life.”

COLLEGE!

All of the above statements are true, of course. This summer was the fastest summer I’ve ever had! I woke up this morning and both my mom and dad were at work. I can remember the week after graduation when I was in this same situation, but my mom wasn’t home because of POST-planning. I usually love pre-planning because I get the house to myself for awhile, I don’t have to share the TV, I can sing as loud as I want to, and I can sleep all day long. But this year, I’m waking up to go to work, packing up boxes, ordering things I’m last-minute remembering I need! It’s definitely different, but I like change.

But, just because I like change doesn’t mean I’m not nervous.

My friend, Avery, and I were talking at a birthday party the other night about how there’s no one that could NOT be nervous about college! I mean, you’re moving to a brand new place with brand new people, you have to remember to get your laundry out of the washer (not a big deal for most, but for this girl… HUGE DEAL), and you are living on your own for the first time! That’s a pretty big change. So, of course we are nervous. But, another feeling got me right after this conversation. My mom and I were about to leave, and I said, “Well Avery, if I don’t see you before you leave-” which was followed by his response: “Probably not, I leave in two days!”

WHAT?!
This is the first time it’s actually hit me (and it hit me hard) that the last time my entire class would be together was at graduation. We all really were going separate ways. Sure, it’s a pretty obvious moment in our lives, but I guess I have been so busy, I haven’t dwelled on that idea for very long. Living in a small town, we grow up with the same people for thirteen years. We have the same classes, we have the same friends… Our friends are pretty much the only reason we willingly go back to school after each summer! We’ve all grown to know each other so well, so it’s hard knowing you won’t see them all the time. My best friend, Abby, is going to Georgia Tech. Even though we have our own busy lives to work around right now, it’s going to be a huge transition not having her right down the road (or her mom’s pork). Emotions are running wild this week. I know there will be many, many tears. But, there’s one more feeling that I’ve had through this entire experience so far...

Excitement.

I’m moving into a suite with one of my best friends. I get to decorate a cute room. I’ll be living in a brand new place, where I can start fresh. I get to meet some pretty awesome people, who have a very high chance of being my best friends. I will finally live near a Moe’s. I get to go to a school that both of my parents attended. I’ll be starting my journey towards my dream career. I get to be put into more situations to grow in my faith. I will be able to blog from a new perspective. I’ll get experience that you can only get from college. I will make some of the best memories of my life.

This week will be a whirlwind, for sure. It will be full of these emotions, plus a thousand more! Please be praying that I will transition easily, stay safe, and not do anything (too) stupid. Now, I guess all that’s left to say is (especially to the adults)... I’m ready for the “best years of my life!”

Now, here are some pictures of small me (to make my mom cry).






No comments:

Post a Comment